HOTARC banner

Field Day 2002 Photos

Field Day 2002 came and went with some of the best weather we've had in recent years, a little hotter than last year, but with no rain to spoil the festivities. Again, like previous years, we opperated two HF transmitters on emergency power at Hewitt Park. We made over 800 QSO's this year, (inlcuding 237 CW contacts) and had demonstrations of ATV, SSTV and PSK. This year we also had the best media coverage in recent memory; the Waco Tribune Herald ran a long story on Saturday about Field Day, then had a follow-up picture with caption the next morning. In addition, the local CBS affilate, KWTX Ch10, ran a very nice news piece on the evening news. To top it all of, our score of 2400 was the highest amongst 2A contestants in North Texas.
Field Day 2002 QSO Points
Type Number Multiplier Total
CW 237 x2 474
Digital 20 x2 40
Phone 686 x1 686
Total QSO Points Power Multiplier Claimed Score
1200 x2 2400

Bonus Points

100 pts - 100% Emergency Power
100 pts - Media Publicity
100 pts - Public Location
100 pts - Info Booth
100 pts - SM Message
100 pts - W1AW Message
100 pts - Formal NTS Traffic

by Stan Russell KD5RWX

A Successful Field Day 2002!
by John Chamberlain, AC5CV

  We came, we saw, we conquered! HOTARC and WATS staged a very successful Field Day 2002 at Hewitt Park this year. Thanks to excellent publicity efforts, solid planning, terrific participation by HOTARC and WATS members, delicious food, and potent anti-Murphy repellent we had a truly stellar time of it! Through the course of the day, we saw dozens of new faces: HOTARC members, hams who are not members, non-hams interested in amateur radio, and media representatives who seemed just as interested in the goings-on as they were in getting the story.

  The weather cooperated: we had no thunderstorms this year, and despite fairly warm temperatures, there was an easterly breeze to keep things feeling pretty comfortable in the shade. Of course, Field Day food is almost as important as the radio gear. We had pizza and salad for lunch, and amazing home-cooked brisket, beans, and potato salad (all provided by the Russell's) for dinner. Several spouses and visitors enjoyed the dinner hospitality. Not to be outdone, Chef Miles whipped up some pancakes and sausage links for Sunday breakfast, topped off with fruit kolaches from West!

  As usual, HOTARC's Field Day contribution was two HF stations: one operating from the trailer with the beautiful beam antenna, and one operating under the pavilion with a home-made quarter-wave 40-meter vertical (no loading coils a full 33-feet) mounted atop the pavilion. What a great ground plane, heh?! This year ARRL also encouraged a Get-On-The-Air (GOTA) station for new hams and non-hams. Mike Ross N5MVL, always the 6-meter enthusiast, set up a 6-meter station using his homebrew 6-m yagi and a 100-watt transceiver (courtesy of Roger Miles WB5MBO) this year. WATS brought in all kinds of fun things: a small ATV transmitter attached to a helium balloon (sending images from about 1000 feet overhead), a small ATV transmitter mounted atop a RC car, SSTV mobile transmit and receive, and fast-scan ATV transmit and receive.

  We enjoyed an unexpected boost in points this year from a visiting John Curry K5IMC who took the opportunity to demonstrate what high-speed CW contesting is all about. Bonus points were received from traffic handling (thanks to J.W. Roach W5AYX), media visits, public information displays and I think there was a 100-point bonus available for good food this year, too. Isn't that right, Ed? J We certainly deserve that!

  Our generator mounted on the trailer acted up a little, but the backup generator carried the day (and night) just fine. The trailer's air conditioner taxed it a little, so we spent most of the night with open windows, but the cool breeze proved quite pleasant.

  Contacts were still going strong as we neared the end of the 24-hour period (ending 1:00 pm CDT), so for the first time in recent years, we operated right up to the last minute when the bands fell strangely silent as hams all across the nation breathed a collective sigh of relief. It was finally over! The points were earned. Food was eaten. The coffee and cokes were consumed. Sleep was missed. Noisy generators were finally turned off and put to rest. Hurriedly installed antennas and radios were lowered, disconnected, and dismantled.