Newsletter of the
Last month we enjoyed seeing how HDTV originates from the KWTX-DT studio and transmitting station. This month we get to witness it first-hand in the home theater of our fellow WATS member Dave Boehner K5HOT.
As you have probably read in the HOTLINE (the HOTARC newsletter published by a very talented, young ham J), the April Meeting of WATS is going to be a real treat! HOTARC and WATS member Dave Boehner K5HOT has invited both clubs to hold a joint meeting at his home on April 25, 2002. In addition to having a novel meeting location, Dave has agreed to treat us all to a hamburger cookout and…a tour of his home theater setup!
Follow dotted red line to 3071
Dave has “wow’d” us in the past with his television and sound system exploits, and this year we expect no different. Of course, this is the “year of HDTV,” so I expect we will get to actually witness some digital television. As we were told last month by KWTX (they wouldn’t lie to us, would they?), the best quality picture is to be obtained from actual local broadcast, such as is currently locally available only from KWTX-DT. These signals don’t suffer from any compression artifacts, as do cable and satellite signals, for example. And I believe that KWTX-DT is scheduled to have an HDTV broadcast at 8:00 pm Thursday evening. So, if we time our dinner, meetings, and tours just right, we may be able to sit back and witness the “best of the best” in the comfort of the K5HOT home theater.
As I’ve said in the email announcements, this may be your best shot to convince the XYL that HDTV is needed in YOUR home! Make plans to attend!
To my Fellow WATS Members
I see from the 2002 WATS Directory that this year we have eleven paid members. This is down from last year, so I can only conclude that what we are seeing is quality, not quantity. So much for my aim to increase our membership this year.
Our meeting this month will be moved from the third Thursday to the fourth Thursday as we join our companion group HOTARC to accept David Boehner’s invitation for a joint meeting, hamburgers, and a tour of his fine amateur facilities at his home. I believe our editor is providing a map somewhere in the issue to tell us how to get there. I look forward to seeing you there. The plan is for eats, a short meeting, then the tour.
I apologise for not participating in the Race for the Cure as I had a prior commitment.
Secretary-Treasurer John Chamberlain, sitting in for President N5XAK, called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm at the KWTX studios. Those attending were:
· John Chamberlain, AC5CV (Secretary/Treasurer)
· Horace Bushnell, W5TAH
· Norris Martin, KB5SLI
W5TAH moved to accept the minutes of the previous meeting as published in the March Happenings, seconded by KB5SLI, and approved unanimously.
KB5SLI moved to accept the Financial Report as published in the March Happenings, seconded by W5TAH, and approved unanimously.
· AC5CV reported on the efforts of N5XAK to identify the members’ preferences for how to receive the Happenings (by email or by snail mail).
· AC5CV reported on the attempts by N5XAK to transmit and receive ATV from the TSTC campus, in preparation for an ATV demonstration at next week’s HOTARC meeting. He was unsuccessful, but later determined some faulty antenna connectors were probably to blame. However, in later discussions we decided that a better plan for the HOTARC meeting would be for AC5CV and N5XAK to simply set up two stations inside the building and carry on an actual ATV QSO in a simplex fashion.
· We had nothing to report regarding a fix to the Skycam camera’s remote interface.
· In view of the invitation by Dave Boehner K5HOT to host a joint WATS and HOTARC meeting at his home on April 25, W5TAH made a motion to change the April meeting to the fourth Thursday. KB5SLI seconded the motion, and it was unanimously approved.
· AC5CV reported on the upcoming Race for the Cure on April 27. Jim Lovett AC5HV was handling the arrangements for HOTARC, and AC5CV for WATS. Participation by WATS members is needed to send ATV pictures back to the HOTARC trailer.
AC5CV heard a motion by KB5SLI to adjourn the meeting at 7:17 pm.
John Chamberlain, AC5CV
Secretary-Treasurer John Chamberlain, sitting in for President N5XAK, called the meeting to order at 7:37 pm at the KWTX studios. Those attending were:
John Chamberlain, AC5CV
(taking the photo), and from left to right in the photo:
Horace Bushnell, W5TAH; Norris Martin, KB5SLI; David Bush, KC5UOZ;
Justin Martin, KC5KQL (visitor); Marshall Mabry, KD5IQ; and Mike Ross, N5MVL
W5TAH moved to accept the minutes of the previous meeting as published in the March Happenings; the motion was seconded by KB5SLI, and approved unanimously.
· AC5CV read the treasurer’s report as published in the March Happenings, and reported that we had a total of eleven paying members, a few less than the previous year.
Larry Brown, KWTX
· AC5CV reported that the special event Race for the Cure is scheduled for Saturday April 27. Please mark your calendars and get ready to support this event with ATV coverage.
AC5CV heard a motion by N5MVL to adjourn the meeting at 7:43 pm.
Larry Brown of KWTX gave a very enjoyable and informative presentation and tour of the KWTX-DT station, that is, their HDTV (digital) broadcast station.
John Chamberlain, AC5CV
WATS Happenings is the official newsletter of the Waco Amateur Television Society (WATS), Inc., a non-profit organization, chartered by the State of Texas with registered offices at 3804 N 21A Street, Waco, TX. Use of information contained herein is permissible, provided credit is given to the source. Edited and published by John Chamberlain, AC5CV.
2002 WATS Officers and Directors
President: John Gafford N5XAK, firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary/Treasurer: John Chamberlain AC5CV, AC5CV@arrl.net
Director (thru 2004): Horace Bushnell W5TAH, W5TAH@aol.com
Director (thru 2003): Norris Martin KB5SLI, email@example.com
Director (thru 2002): Marshall Mabry KD5IQ, MabryM@aol.com